Yes, this girly-girl Southern Belle just admitted she loves going to car shows.
Before I share my love of car shows, let me give you a little background here. If I haven’t mentioned it before, Alex and I met the summer before our senior year in high school. I’m not going to get into “our story” right now, but in the beginning stages of our relationship…we spent hours talking about random things, one being his car.
You see, this high school boy did not drive just any run of the mill car…he drove this
This is actually from our sophomore year of college, but I unfortunately don’t have a picture of what it looked like in HS (pretty much the same minus a few tweaks here and there!)
Yep, my guy drove the green 1968 VW Beetle you see above. It is his baby and I just had to learn to play second fiddle to his car ;). I always thought it was interesting and the more I got to know Alex, the more I got to know his bug and its sweet history. (You can read his version of the story here)
When Alex was 15 or so, his parents didn’t let him go out and pick a new car to learn to drive….they let him choose between two in the backyard. One being the one you see above (of course not in that good of shape), which is obviously the one he chose.
When Alex got it, it had been sitting outside for years (I’ll have to get his album and scan in the picture of what it looked like when he got it) and was not in good shape. Even though it looked rough, it had a really cool history.
Alex’s grandfather bought the car new in 1968 in Salem, Oregon. The car was eventually passed down to Alex’s dad who drove it through high school and college and even as the getaway car at his wedding! Then, after Alex’s parents were in the air force, that little bug was driven in California, Oregon, Tennessee and eventually made it to Alabama (its first home was a barn in Cotaco and then finally made its way to the backyard in Decatur!)
So not only did Alex have to learn the bug (I mean, it is stick shift and not an easy one at that) he had to fix it up. Long before he even got his driver’s license, Alex had already spent hours and lots of money having it repainted, and adding new things (Again, you may want to check out his page because I’m sure I’ll butcher all the “upgrade” information :)) Alex drove this car on just about every date we went on through about sophomore year of college so I have gotten to know the bug pretty well. I’ve learned (on the first date) that in the summer, we’re going to have to ride with the windows down or melt (since there is no AC) so I need to bring a brush or a ponytail holder ;). I also learned to lock the door when I get out and hold the door knob down when closing it so it shuts. Little things like that become habit after a while, so much so that when Alex got his next vehicle, I wasn’t quite sure what to do! :)
Back to my story…since he put so much time and effort into the bug, he decided to start entering into car shows. Although he was going to car shows before I dated him, I’ve had the pleasure to go to everyone he’s been in (except 1) since we started dating!
Bugg’n in July 2005 – Point Mallard Park, Decatur
Birmingham Bug Blast 2005 – Tannehill State Park, Birmingham
Bug’n in July – Point Mallard, Decatur
*No, I’m not in any of these pictures, but this was an interesting show. This was the first time it was a 2-day car show and Alex and I had just left the first day to run get something to eat and then head back for the drive in movie. On the way, the clutch went out. (There is one picture of me sitting in the car waiting on the tow truck, but I look awful so I’m not sure I’m brave enough to put it on here but if you look really close, you can see it on the board second picture from the left;)) Anyway, that night we (Alex’s friend Alan, Alex, and I) went to Wal-Mart to create a display to put in his spot at the car show (you can tell I definitely had some input…the boys wouldn’t have known what to do ;)) Alex actually went on to win People’s Choice though :)
If you look close, you can see me on the left hand side. This picture was taken right after the car show.
Bug’n in July 2008 – Point Mallard, Decatur
The last car show he went to was Birmingham Bug Blast and I had my first class meeting for a doctoral course I was taking so I didn’t make it :(
Anyway, if you’d asked me six years ago if I’d ever go to a car show…I’d probably say “No Way”, but now I can honestly say, I hate missing them! Now, I can’t say this for every car show, but I love going to the ones Alex participates in (and I’ve even been to a few others that weren’t THAT bad :)) I’m not sure what it is, but it is actually quite entertaining, and as you can tell, I actually usually get into them (if you didn’t notice, I’ve worn green every time!) What is even worse is I’ve learned all kinds of thing about beetles and volkswagens (Yes, this girly girl can even pick out a few different types of VW’s :)) Hopefully in a few years I’ll be able to give the little spiel as people walk around and ask about the car :)
So, if you “read” my Wordless Wednesday post yesterday, you’re probably wondering what this picture below…
and this post have to do with my weekend plans. Well, not only is the picture above the same picture on an album I gave Alex a few years ago (you can see it in the car show pictures), but Saturday is the 2009 Bug’n in July so I thought this was an appropriate time to share my love for the little green bug :) It should be a fun-filled weekend of bugs (both the cars and the flying kind ;)) and even a drive-in movie (like the one above!) I’ll definitely have a big post (with lots of pictures) on the show either Sunday evening or Monday! :)
Have a great weekend and if you’re in the Decatur area, stop by Point Mallard and see us and the bug!
*Last image from here, the rest of the images are from myself.

0 comments:
Post a Comment