As I’ve been watching all of my neighbors move out (and I’m not kidding…I’m now the only one on my floor!) and getting ready for my brother to move in, it has brought back many memories of when I moved into Tuscaloosa.
This is what I journaled in my scrapbook about the experience (Note: this was written my freshman year so obviously things are a little different, i.e. boyfriend ;))
On August 16, 2003 I left my home in Somerville to begin my new life in Tuscaloosa. I was living my dream of becoming a college student at the University of Alabama pursuing a degree in Elementary Education. This was the day I had been both looking forward to and dreading for the past year. Part of me was so excited about starting over in a new place. I was going to be a college student at UA and living in my own apartment – things that excited every high school graduate. On the other hand, I was going to miss my life back home: doing plays, going to dance class, seeing my family, and spending time with my friends and boyfriend. Everything I was used to was gone and I was starting over – clean slate. It didn’t matter what I did in high school or who I knew…I had to make a new name for myself.
On this particular day, I woke up and did some last minute packing (of course I waited till the last minute to pack…what a surprise!). My uncle Tim, a manager at the Canteen vending machine company in Priceville, arrived with one of their delivery trucks early that morning. We loaded all of the boxes into the truck and Mom, Dad, Joshua, Tim, Mommaw Lucy, Poppaw Jack and I loaded into the truck, my car, and Mom’s explorer (we jokingly named ourselves Maegan’s caravan) and headed to Hartselle to pick up some items from the townhouse and then hit the road. We had gotten walkie-talkies so we could all talk to each other without running up the phone bills so we talked to each other on the way there. Thankfully I had driven this route to go to orientation so I was quite familiar with it at this point. When we got to Tuscaloosa, we stopped at Sticks ‘n Stuff to pick up my new black leather coach, loveseat and ottoman that we had purchased when we came down apartment hunting in April. When all of us got there, we were told we’d have to go pick it up at the warehouse, which ended up being an adventure in itself. After we finally found the warehouse, we loaded the furniture into the truck and headed to my new apartment. We called H.A. Edwards (the real estate company) to check on getting my key and they informed us that it was already unlocked so before heading to the office, we stopped off by the apartment. We were nervous because we had not seen the apartment before signing the lease. My high school friends, Tyler and Ashley, had both signed leases here and my parents had talked to their parents and trusted their judgment. However, we had no idea if everything would fit so we just prayed everything would fit. When we opened the door, we were excited to see how large and beautiful it was. I immediately started taking pictures with my camera phone and sending it to the gang back home. We spent the rest of the night unpacking and setting up getting ready for my houseguests the next day.
On August 17th, I had my very first house guests. My aunt Tiffany and cousins Jordan and Jacob came down to meet my uncle, Tim. They were dressed in their Alabama gear to go visit the Bryant Museum. My boyfriend Tim, and our friends Will, Aimee, Bryan and Taylor also came to visit. They were going to help me move in the day before, but Will and Aimee’s sister got married. It was fun getting to spend the day with them. My friend Amanda also stopped by on her way to MSU, where she would be attending college.
Here is a collage of pictures from the day (there are way too many for me to insert one by one!) If you would like to see the entire album with captions, click on the yellow button on the bottom left corner and click on the album name, or click on a photo in the slide show to be taken to that particular photo in the album.

0 comments:
Post a Comment