Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July Festivities!

My family is not usually an entertaining type family, but this year, my grandmother said she wanted us to do something (and she would pay for food or whatever) so for the first time in a long time, we had a party at our house!  It was just my family and then my mom’s parents and grandmother (Alex was invited, but wasn’t able to make it home this weekend because he had to work on Friday night :( )

We spent most of the day enjoying the pool!  My parents and brother have been working on the backyard and pool for the past few weeks and everything looked really good (or at least a million times better than it did!)  We were talking about how we had no pictures of our backyard since we put the pool in in 1998, so I snapped a few while Dad was finishing filling up the pool!

DSC01182 

Our playhouse/pool house.  My dad designed and started building this years ago to serve as our playhouse.  It just kept getting bigger and bigger (which is part of the reason it is still not finished!).  It does have about a quarter basketball court, and a stage.  Sadly, this is not the most impressive side, but Dad had scaffolds up on the end so I’ll have to get a pic when he moves those!

DSC01176

The waterfall my dad made with rocks from my grandparent’s house.  You can also see our gazebo behind it (the storms they’ve had the last few weeks have made it lean a little…we obviously didn’t pour enough concrete when we put it up last summer!)

DSC01177

One of the side ponds by the waterfall.  The cat-tails grew there themselves so we just left them! 

DSC01178 A side view of the waterfall.

DSC01179

The view of the backyard from the gazebo.  (Excuse the lawn mower and 4-wheelers…we do live out in the country! ;))

DSC01180

A close up of the back deck

After spending a few hours in the pool, we went inside to cool off.  I hadn’t been feeling well, so I came in and took a nap while waiting for my grandparents to arrive.

They got here about 6:30 and my grandmother and mom got all of the food ready, while dad heated up the grill.  We used to go to my grandparent’s every Sunday night when I was younger and my grandmother would mix up hamburger meat (with loaf bread) and make hamburgers so Mom had her do the same for ours!  They were so good!  Dad also grilled a few hot dogs for some variety!

DSC01184DSC01185DSC01188

The buffet set-up :)  (Mom even picked out 4th of July themed plates, cups, napkins, etc…I was so proud!)

DSC01186

Waiting on food to get ready

DSC01189

Finally ready!  Time to fix our plates!

DSC01193

As you can tell, I gave up the diet for the day!  It was so worth it!

DSC01190

Poppaw and Dad enjoying the meal!  (They decided not to socialize with the rest of us ;))

DSC01192

Josh and I (Yes, we were all red, white, and blue!)

DSC01196

Mom and Josh (they matched!)

DSC01197

Josh was tired of me taking pictures

DSC01198

Finally got him to smile!

DSC01202

Josh and I with our great-grandmother!

DSC01203

Josh and I again (he decided to look above the camera so we had to try it again…)

DSC01204

Take two (not much better!)

DSC01233

Josh and I with our grandparents and great-grandmother

DSC01231

Our family

DSC01219

The only decent shot I could get of our neighbor’s fireworks.  My camera took forever trying to focus on something that it missed them all!

DSC01220

I think we wore Josh out!

DSC01234 We ended the evening with yummy homemade ice cream! :)

Overall, we had a great time celebrating with family!  I hope you all had a safe and wonderful 4th of July celebration as well!

Love,

Maegan

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin