Remember when I posted this picture in my “When it Rains It Pours” post?
If you missed it, I opened up my utility closet one day back in August to find that my hot water heater had begun leaking. We called maintenance and they said it was probably just stopped up from all the rain we’d been getting and that it would probably go back down.
We kinda forgot about it until last Sunday, when Mom noticed the hall carpet was wet and obviously, it was from my hot water heater.
We got some towels and cleaned it up and realized that if it had leaked into the hallway, it had probably leaked into my craft/coat closet right next to it. So, we immediately started pulling things out of that closet as well and good thing, because that carpet was wet too (as well as a lot of my things, thankfully it wasn’t my scrapbooking paper and stuff…just things that were in rubbermaid tubs!).
We called on Monday and let them know about the carpet in hopes that would get them out here faster. One of my favorite maintenance men came and checked it out. He thought it might be backed up from the rain (yep, we’re pretty much building arks here in T-town ;)), but he went ahead and drained it and said he’d be coming back the following day to see if there was any water in it, which would be a clear sign that it is leaking.He returned the next day and sure enough it was water standing in it again so he made a call to their contracted service and said they’d be here today.
Sure enough, at 8:00 on the dot, I heard a knock at my door. I’ve been getting sick so I took some Tylenol cold last night to knock it out thinking I could sleep it off…so the 8 am wake-up call was not very welcome. Between being groggy from the meds and just plain out miserable form being sick, it was all I could do to stumble to open the door, point to the hallway closet, and then snuggle up on the couch staring at the TV. I could see him working from my perch on the couch, but I didn’t bother to go investigate until I heard him cursing and then get on his walkie-talkie and go “Okay, what do I do next?” Exactly what you want to hear from your maintenance man ;)
He eventually called in reinforcements and they spent the next two hours cursing and going in and out of my apartment, while I sat glazed over on the couch. They must have been able to tell I felt bad because the only time they tried to talk to me was to ask if I worked for the football program (they saw my pictures). After I squeaked out a few answers, they left me alone and got back to work. After about 2 hours, the water was drained out and it was time for the old one to go (no I didn’t get a picture…I figured they would think I was crazy and I barely managed to get up off the couch long enough to snap this one while they were out to get the new one!)
You can tell where the water leaked around the old one, and of course they didn’t bother to clean it back up before putting the new one in…ewww!
Anyway, they finally brought in the new hot water heater and put it in! It is a little bigger than the other so I can’t fit all of my cleaning stuff in there anymore, but that’s what Josh’s closet’s for :)
It’s times like these, I’m thankful I still live in an apartment. I got a new hot water heater that is much better than my old one AND had it installed and I didn’t have to pay for it…love it!

0 comments:
Post a Comment