Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Halloween Costumes

When I was little, it was about this time that we started deciding on what we wanted to be for Halloween.  My grandmother on my mom’s side is an amazing seamstress and can sew and create just about anything imaginable (she used to make me Barbie doll clothes when I would stay with her).  Anyway, every September, we would trek to the fabric store and pick out a pattern and material for our costumes.  It was so much fun flipping through all of the pattern books (it still is!) looking for a Halloween costume because it was like looking through a catalog or magazine and knowing that everything would fit and you could have it custom made to your specifications (color, length, design, everything!)

I’ll go through my list of costumes in a Flashback Friday post closer to Halloween, but they were all pretty amazing!  My grandmother would slave for hours and make sure that every detail was perfect (it is her fault I’m so gosh darn picky when it comes to how clothes fit!) and Halloween would roll around and I would happily slip in to my costume for all of the Halloween festivities and as soon as it was over, I would put my outfit in my dress up box and start thinking about the next Halloween.

I still love to dress up…I have no clue why!  The reason is probably similar to my love of theatre and dance (and well clothes in general ;)) because nothing was better than donning something different and being someone else for the day!

The excitement kind of died down when I got to Junior High and high school and continued off and on through college.  1.)  People just didn’t dress up and 2.) We didn’t have anywhere to go.  Anyway, I missed the fun of picking out costumes and even though I would never buy any, I would always look anyway :)

This year is no different, but with more free time at home, I’ve had some time to look at costumes and boy there are some fun ones out there.  Since I have Alex around, I of course want to do the couple’s costumes but even though I’m willing to go out on a limb to accommodate his costume choice…him, not so much.  Usually he wants to  be something really obnoxious or gross (yeah I won’t even go into some of his costumes…they are not classy OR fabulous!)  and either the costume does not lend itself to a girl’s costume or I don’t want to have anything to do with it (Usually the latter).  Sure, I could dress up by myself (and I have many times), but it’s just more fun coordinating sometimes ;)

Anyway, here are some of my favorites, that could possibly lend to some cute couple costumes (although none of them are quite Alex approved…I told you, he’s not as game as I am ;))

image

Trophy wife….probably my favorite!  I don’t know what Alex would be, but since I’m not a wife, I’d feel a little strange wearing it anyway.  Oh well, maybe in the future!

image I will always love me some Snow White although I’m not sure Alex is quite Snow Prince material ;)  Sorry sweetie…I had to!  Fun fact:  my ex-boyfriend is now Prince Charming/Snow Prince in Disney World…he’s not quite Prince material either though ;)

Alex would probably be game for this…

image 

Marian Ravenwood from Indiana Jones…he’s a huge fan! :)

or a girl from one of his other favorite movies or should I say, series….James Bond

image

I would totally vote for this one ;)

or even this one…

image

in an attempt to channel Ms. Catherine Zeta-Jones in Zorro.

Anyway, do you still dress up for Halloween?  If you have a significant other, do you try to coordinate?

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin