Dancing was always so much more than just a hobby for me. It was a passion. I loved everything about it: the attire, the art, the technique, the practices, the performances….everything! Because of this, I adored being at the dance studio. Although I had to be there many hours a week for classes, I would often find myself hanging out there even when I didn’t have to. Honestly, I probably spent more time there than in my own home. It was literally my “home away from home”.
When I graduated, I knew I would miss dance, but I never thought about actually missing the studio itself. After all…it’s just a building right? I soon realized that it was so much more than a building to me…it was home and I missed it dearly.
Although I have stopped in for several visits since I left, I haven’t gotten to spend any real time there…that is until this week.
I know how crazy it is at the studio around recital time so I promised that I would come help out while I was home. As soon as I walked in on Monday evening, it took me back to 7 years ago….I was home.
The glistening competition trophies in the entryway that we had worked so hard for, the soothing lavender walls covered in the same images I had admired as a child, the sound of music and “5,6,7,8” wafting through the doors of the classrooms, and little ballerinas spinning around in the lobby….it was like I had never left.
Even though I had only planned on going for a couple of days, I ended up spending every afternoon there. Every day I would arrive at 2:30, pull into the same parking spot that I always parked in from the time I was 16, walk right in, get to work, and stay until they closed up at 8:00. I spent hours answering phone calls, dealing with parents, sorting and handing out pictures, programs, and t-shirts, and even critiquing some dances. I was exhausted every night, but honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Because, well, I was home. Is it sad that I already miss that place terribly?

0 comments:
Post a Comment