Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Alex’s 26th Birthday Week

Just as with last year, Alex got to spend his entire birthday week in Tuscaloosa with me.

That of course meant he had to do some work from my apartment. 2011 02 15_February 2011_0119

But it also meant that he got to do a little of this:

2011 02 15_February 2011_0125

and this: 2011 02 18_February 2011_0104

He also got to eat some good food that he and I cooked

2011 02 17_February 2011_0110 2011 02 17_February 2011_0107

2011 02 20_February 2011_0096   

and then of course some food cooked by the professionals:

2011 02 17_February 2011_01112011 02 17_February 2011_0112

Then, before we knew it, it was his actual birthday!

I gave him his presents

2/18 Alex's Birthday - Gifts from myself and my parents:  A Cutter & Buck Alabama polo from Mom, Dad, and Josh, Another Cutter & Buck Alabama polo, a car tag, and two framed collages of our trip to the SEC Championship Game and National Championship game from me which were not finished yet (yes, I know I'm only a year behind ;)) Which he promptly put one to use:

2/18 Alex's Birthday - He loved his new car tag so much that he immediately went and put it on his Jeep :)

Then I took him to his now traditional birthday lunch of Bento’s sushi:

2011 02 18_February 2011_0102

and I let him work for the rest of the day.  Once he got “off work”, I tackled my first experimental baking experience for Alex’s birthday celebration that evening:  Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes!

Irish Car Bombs are one of Alex’s favorites and when I found a recipe for Guinness cupcakes, I decided I HAD to try to make them for Alex’s birthday.  I put my own spin on them to make them even more of a nod to one of Alex’s favorites.

One of the first steps is to mix the Guinness with butter, and as soon as Alex heard the bottle open, he was in the kitchen to see what I was up to.  He was awesome about photographing the whole experience for me too :)

image

As I mentioned above, I wanted to put my own spin on the recipe by making it more like the real thing (or I assume, I’ve never had one!).  I took the original recipe of plain cream cheese icing and turned it into Bailey’s cream cheese icing

.2011 02 18_Alex's Birthday Week_00292011 02 18_Alex's Birthday Week_0034 

The birthday boy iced them for me while I got ready for his birthday dinner.  He doesn’t do any baking, so I thought his first icing job was pretty good :)

2011 02 19_February 2011_0097

2011 02 19_February 2011_0098Of course, once everything was finished, the birthday boy had to taste test:

2011 02 18_Alex's Birthday Week_0040  He quickly scarfed down the first one and he LOVED them!

We finished getting ready, packed up the cupcakes and met some friends at his favorite Tuscaloosa restaurant, Nick’s Original Filet House (better known as Nick’s in the Stick’s) for his birthday dinner!

 2/18 Alex's Birthday - The birthday boy waiting on a table at Nick's

The birthday boy with Nickademus (Nick’s signature drink) already in hand :)

2/18 Alex's Birthday - The crew (minus myself of course) at Nick's for Alex's birthday dinner :)

Sweet friends

 2/18 Alex's Birthday - The birthday boy and I at Nick's :) 

The birthday boy and I

2/18 - Alex's Birthday - The birthday boy went all out and ordered a massive steak...he was a happy camper haha :)

Steak and potatoes – He’s happy!

2/18 Alex's Birthday - Time for cupcakes!! They were a big hit!

The cupcakes were a hit!  All the ones we brought were eaten! :)

After we left Nick’s, we met some friends at a local bar called the Alcove, to continue the celebration.

2/18 Alex's Birthday - Alex and I at the Alcove with friends after dinner

We were exhausted, but Alex had a wonderful time, which is of course, all that matters! :)

Next up:  Birthday celebration with Alex’s family

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin