Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Updates

Disclaimer:  I will go ahead and warn you, this post is definitely not my best writing, but I just had to get my thoughts down(and I’m a little sick of writing for school) so bare with my rambles today :)

I know I STILL haven’t finished all of my recap posts, but with school starting back, I haven’t had the energy to tackle them yet! However, since several people have asked me “how I’m handling things” with Alex being gone, I thought I would just give you all an update.

Things have been tough…not going to lie.  It has only been a couple of weeks (last we saw each other was on the 9th), but it seems like it has been a decade.  To make things worse, it seems all of my TV shows are having the “long-distance” episodes.  Not kidding…in the past two weeks I have witnessed Betty’s tearful goodbye to her boyfriend in Ugly Betty, and have re-watched Michael and Holly and Jim and Pam deal with long distance relationships on the Office.  Believe me, I cried A LOT over those episodes because even though I had seen 2 out of 3 before, it meant a lot more this time because I understood what they were going through.

Alex is liking his new job.  I think he would LOVE it if it were just a bit closer to home because although he’s happy at work, he has nothing to do when he gets off.  He calls several times a day and sends me sweet texts occasionally and so far he has been the strong one, constantly reassuring me that everything will work out.  I’ll admit, there have definitely been days that I wanted him to let down his guard and really tell me how he felt, but when he finally has the last few days, it breaks my heart even more.  Something about when guys get emotional that gets me every time.  Like when he sends me a message with a picture of his dinner, the same dinner we’d eat often, with the caption “It is not the same without you :(“ or yesterday when he told me he was lonely….I lost it.

From what I’ve been told, the first few weeks are the worst and I completely agree.  I’m just getting used to him not being here and are constantly realizing the things that we used to do together, are now things I have to do alone.

Yesterday was probably one of the worst days I’ve had.  When we originally made out our “visit schedule”, our first visit was supposed to be this weekend when I was to go to Arkansas.  However, things didn’t work out with this visit or the our 2nd scheduled one (which happened to be my birthday), because he has to visit home the following weekend so him driving two weekends in a row just wasn’t feasible.  So now, we’re looking at not seeing each other until Valentine’s weekend and still, I have to share that weekend with his family.  Needless to say, our visits worked out much better on paper than in real life…but isn’t that how everything works out?

I’m trying to look at the bright side of things and thankfully there have been a few “positive” things to come out of this long distance thing:

  1. With my “best friend” being gone, I have learned to reconnect and rely on my friends who I have lost touch with over the years and even meet new ones.  I’m thankful to have such an amazing support system (that includes you guys)!
  2. With having the time that used to be spent with Alex now open, I have plenty of time to catch up on the things around the house and get ahead on homework.  This is definitely a plus (although I would gladly go back to my busy schedule anytime!)
  3. Since I just have myself to worry about when it comes to meal time, I eat whatever I’d like and have gone back to eating much healthier and much smaller portions (not to mention time to work out!).  This has resulted in some major weight loss on my part and from what I hear, on his part as well.  Now that our next visit has been pushed back, I’m hoping to be close to my goal weight by that point! :)

So, all in all…I’m making it.  I’m hoping that we’ll eventually get on a schedule (or at least somewhat of one) when it comes to visits, but until then, I’m just going to have to suck it up and deal with it.

School is officially back in full swing and it is definitely keeping my mind off other things.  I’m finishing up my residency (last required semester of “full-time”) and I couldn’t be more happy about having these classes out the way.  So far, this seems to be my least favorite semester because I only have 1 tech class (as I’m finished with them until my very last one before I graduate :( ), a stats class (I am NOT a math girl), and an educational leadership class (which I surprisingly like so far, but it is a ton of work).  I also have to start work on my paper that I will be presenting with my professor at a conference next summer so that is definitely something else on my already full plate :)  I am also toying with the idea of taking a few more classes to complete yet another degree, but I’ll let you know if I decide to do that.

Anyway, I think that is about it.  Thanks for listening to my ramble and thanks for the great deal of support.  You have no idea how much those sweet comments on my blog, Twitter, and Facebook brighten my day!

Hopefully I’ll be able to catch up on my recap posts soon (especially since I’ve got a birthday coming up that will definitely add to my work load ;))  Have a fabulous weekend! :)

Lots of love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, dear. I know it's difficult, and yes, the first few weeks are awful. So, on the bright side, it's only gonna get easier!

In the meantime, you can channel your feelings into kicking some major ass in your last semester of residency!

Anonymous said...

one day at a time.... I know its hard hun!!

Maegan said...

Thanks for the support ladies :)

Brittany Ann said...

I'm so proud of you for hanging in there! I know its so hard, but you can do this! You are strong and amazing! Good for you for keeping your chin up and taking it one day at a time!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin