If you know me at all, you know I don’t cook. The few things I’ve made turned out fine (except the time I messed up Kool-Aid my freshman year of college, but I’ve learned a lot since then ;)), but I’m not super comfortable in the kitchen so I usually avoid cooking if I can. This usually works out well since Alex loves to cook :)
Anyway, last week I decided I would make dinner for him. I spent hours looking through recipes to try and decide on something. Note – it is not that he is a picky eater, he is just really good at cooking and is used to fancy food so the level of the dishes I can make are not usually up to his standards ;) We finally decided on a dish (surprisingly a salad!): Grilled Steak Salad with Avocado Dressing.

Picture from kraftfoods.com
It was super easy to make and although the salad part was nothing impressive, Alex is a huge fan of avocados so that’s what drew us to the recipe. Anyway, here it is! (Recipe from kraftfoods.com)
Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 29 min
Makes: 4 servings, about 3 cups salad
What You Need!
1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak
Dash of chili powder
8 cups torn mixed salad greens
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup sliced red onions
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup KRAFT Light House Italian Dressing
1/2 of a medium ripe avocado, peeled, pitted
Make It!
PREHEAT grill to medium-high heat. Sprinkle steak with chili powder. Grill 5 to 7 min. on each side or until medium doneness (160ºF). Remove from grill; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 5 min.
MEANWHILE, toss greens with tomatoes, onions and olives; place on serving platter. Place dressing and avocados in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
CUT steak across the grain into thin slices; place over salad. Drizzle with dressing mixture.
My tips (We had to tweak the recipe a little):
- We cooked the steak on the stove instead of on the grill just to save some time. It was fine, but I think it could use a little more flavor (so you may want to marinate it however you’d like) and of course grilling will add flavor as well.
- We doubled the ingredients for the dressing and we barely had enough! I highly suggest you do that because it is a thicker dressing, it did not go very far.
- You could easily substitute chicken instead of the steak to make it a healthier (and equally yummy) option :)
Our favorite part was the dressing and we decided it would be yummy just pouring it over meat or chicken so we might try that next time.
This salad was super easy to make, perfect for a summer dinner, and surprisingly very filling :)
If you try it out, let me know what you think!

0 comments:
Post a Comment