I think I eluded to my “summer teaching job”, but I’m not sure that I ever gave a full fledge explanation, so here it is!
At the beginning of May, I got this e-mail from a professor we worked a great deal with when I worked in Creative Campus. She works with the Gifted and Talented program, which I had actually considered going into until I found out that I could go straight into the doctoral program, but I digress. Anyway, she said that she was directing a program that UA does every year for local Gifted and Talented students called the Summer Enrichment Workshop (better known as SEW). She said that the girl who had planned to teach the two technology classes had dropped out at the last minute after speaking with my doctoral advisor as well as some of my former classmates from that program they immediately recommended me for the job.
I was ecstatic to be asked to do something for the university and immediately took the job (plus it paid really well so that’s a bonus). At the time, I was still employed and it fell during AMSTI training, but I decided that it would be better for me and my career if I took advantage of this opportunity.
I went to the introduction meeting on Monday and I have to say, I was a little intimidated. Much like elementary education, GAT has their own “language” and I had no clue what they were talking about, but I was also excited that I could try some technology lessons in a real classroom setting.
We got to set up our classrooms the past two days. I had the hardest time coming up with a theme (computers just weren’t very entertaining) so since the ads said they could be “Cyber Stars”, I thought I’d go with the whole Hollywood theme. Here are the before and after pictures.
Before:
After:
The class list for both sessions on my door.
The view as you walk in my room (thanks Alex for all your help!)
The front of the room
Front corner of the room
Walk of Talents: I plan on putting my “talent” posters (a GAT thing) on this wall.
There’s my room! I don’t think I’ll be able to update on a daily basis, but I will try to update at the end of each week! :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment