Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dance Recital Rehearsal/Alumni Reception

The Friday evening before the recital, the studio had their usual dress rehearsal and then the alumni got together for a little Alumni Reception afterwards.  It was a long and crazy day, but we had a blast!

The theme this year was “If It Weren’t for the Girls” in which the owners told their story about the life of the dance studio and how much all of the students have meant to them.  I read the script when I was at the studio and I had a difficult time holding back tears so I knew I needed to be backstage in the chaos so I didn’t have to listen to it.

To make it even better, they decided to not use our normal Master of Ceremonies and Ms. Emily, one of the owners and teachers who always writes the scripts, decided it would mean more if she was the one to tell their story.  She did and she did an amazing job! :)

Here she is being the superwoman that she is (M.C., Stage Director, Teacher, and with her daughter dancing on stage…mother)

05 21_3005

The rehearsal was disastrous, but it always has been…somehow it always comes together before the show!  The only time we’ve come close to a perfect rehearsal is when all of our shows sold out and we had to turn our rehearsal into a show and somehow I ended up on the front page of the paper the following morning

Scans 001 But that is definitely a story for another time ;)

Anyway, after the rehearsal we learned our alumni routine.  Mom came and snapped a couple of pictures, but it is always tough trying to get clear pictures of us moving around :)  Honestly, it is probably a good thing because we spent much more time laughing than actually learning the routine ;)

  May2010_05 28_3045

Then, we headed over to the studio for our alumni reception.  It was great getting to catch up with everyone!  Our age group fell right in the middle of the 20 year span so we had danced with every one of the girls there at sometime or another….needless to say, it was very special for us!

image

Unfortunately I am not in many of the pictures since I was playing photographer, but I did get one picture with one of my former dance teachers turned fellow dancer, Nicole.

05 21_3022 Sorry I look rough…it had been a long day! :)

That project I mentioned that I was (tearfully) working on…it was a photobook for the two owners with pictures from the past 20 years!  I (we) presented it to them at the reception and they loved it…in fact, both started tearing up :(

image

In fact, you’re more than welcome to see the book as well

Click here to view this photo book larger

After we presented them with the book, we decided we needed a little more practice on our routine…and boy did we!  By that point, we were so tired and were having way too much fun to concentrate on the dance so it was far from our best work!  See for yourself!

Note:  Yes, I know I messed up on the second time…again, it was late! haha

Note:  You might want to turn your speakers down…we’re really loud!

5/21 - Rehearsing the Alumni Dance from Maegan Slaten on Vimeo.

You probably heard our dance teachers mentioning that the young ones were in the front first….then the older ones moved up front…huge change haha

Anyway, we had a wonderful time dancing together again and I think we did pretty good for only learning it about an hour earlier (and maybe only did it 5 times total!)

Before we left, we all snapped a picture together…I love it!

Here’s the “Picniked” version :)

alumni

What a great night!!  Show recaps coming up next….

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin