In keeping with my new goal of taking some time listing what I am thankful for, here’s what I’m thankful for this week! However, this week I am only doing one because it is a long one :)
My cohort/fellow doc students – When I was in undergrad, I developed a close knit group of friends (partly because we took EVERY class together) so anytime I felt like I was drowning, I would call them because I knew that they would understand (being that they were probably in the same boat). I was the only one of my friends that went straight back to school to get my master’s degree, and although I did make a few friends along the way, I didn’t necessarily call on them or even really need them for support. However, when I went straight into my doctoral program, I was terrified. I had one friend from my master’s degree (we’d had 1 class together) and my advisor and that was it…needless to say, it was terrifying.
Anyway, one thing I really love about the doctoral program is the support system that doc students provide for each other. No matter what program you’re in, it seems like the fears of doc students are all the same. I have of course developed friends in my program, but I also wonderful support of friends in other programs. Whether it be with a phone call, Facebook comment, or e-mail…my doctoral friends always seem to come through when I need them.
Just this week, I received a phone call from a new friend I met at a workshop last week and we spent an hour chatting on the phone about graduate school. She was so sweet and encouraging, and although she didn’t know I was feeling a little down before she called…that phone call made my day :)
I love my all of my friends, but when it comes to doc drama…it is always nice to have someone who really understands what you’re going through!
Happy Thursday

0 comments:
Post a Comment