Let me preface this by saying, I am extremely domestically challenged and this post just goes to prove that. In my defense, I am smart and I worked hard and rightfully earned the 2 1/4 degrees I have from Alabama, but sometimes all of that knowledge overshadows the common sense…this is one of those times!
Okay, so I am not a good cook and RARELY cook. It works out because Alex is an amazing cook, so most of the time I don’t even bother trying. I can handle the occasional dessert (brownies, cakes, cookies) but I rarely stray far beyond that. Anyway, we had an Otis Spunkmeyer cookie dough sale at our school a while back and I bought a tub of the pre-portioned Chocolate-chip cookie dough. Well, every once in a while I will crave a chocolate chip cookie and I will pop a few in the oven and I’m good. Today was one of those days.
I pre-heated the oven and pulled out the cookie dough and put it on the tray. I was in the den actually working on my previous post while it was pre-heating. I went in the kitchen to grab my water bottle and I noticed my kitchen smelled like someone just lit a birthday candle. Since I had just fixed my hair with the curling iron, my first reaction was to run to the bathroom to make sure I had turned it off. It was off, so I went back in the kitchen and just happened to look in the oven and there was a small fire! When I opened up the oven, I noticed the melted purple plastic that used to be a lid to one of my pieces of tupperware and my favorite purple mixing bowl.
It then dawned on me that I had put them in the there the other day when they would not fit in my cabinet (I was in the process of cleaning out my cabinets and had to stop). I didn’t think anything of it because we’ve stored pots and pans and stuff in our oven at home and I ALWAYS check the oven before I turn it on just in case. Well, this time I didn’t and this would be the one time I wish I had.
I immeadiately turned the oven off (of course) and threw some ice on the melting plastic (I knew the ice would harden it so it would stop dripping into the bottom and into the flame – see I earned my degrees ;)) and in a few minutes it was out. This was the aftermath…
Some of the remnants of the tupperware lid (the rest was in the bottom of the oven)
My poor purple mixing bowl.
Thankfully it was not hard to clean up since it just pulled right up, but I am sad my mixing bowl and my purple tupperware lid (I was able to get the actual bowl part out before it melted) are gone :( I am thankful it was not worse and I know not to put anything in the oven anymore! :) (That and I’m staying away from anything flammable for the next few days!)
I of course called Alex because my heart was racing and he banned me from cooking (with good reason I guess! ;)) My thoughts are this was God’s way of telling me I didn’t need those cookies anyway :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment