I know by this point you already know the outcome of the game(since I pretty much texted everyone I knew :)), , but I’m going to pretend you don’t and just go on with my post :)
The boys first game began at 4. Since I don’t get out of school until 3:15 and it takes two hours to get there, obviously I didn’t make it to the beginning of the game (I know you don’t care about all of this, but this is just my preface to saying that mom took these first few pictures so I’m totally guessing on what’s going on :)) Anyway, I will say that since it was double elimination and I would be missing part of the first game, I was praying they’d win so I wouldn’t have to turn around and drive right back. Anyway, back to the game!
They played at Riverwalk Stadium, which is home to the Montgomery Biscuits Semi-Pro Baseball team so we loved being in such a nice stadium (and having our name on the digital scoreboard!)
The boys were wearing their infamous white uniforms (which by the way, they have NEVER lost in :)) so that gave them a boost of confidence right there (Check out how nice they look in their uniforms!)
Doing their “before-game” ritual in the outfield before game 2.
As I was driving, mom was calling me with updates and by the time I got there, this is what the scoreboard looked like!
I know it is a little hard to read but it says, Hartselle 7, Briarwood 2 :)
Josh even scored one of the runs! (another picture from Mom before I got there!)
Thankfully we had a little downtime between games! I headed to grab something to eat (I was starving and of course craving a ball park hot dog) and then I ran into Josh’s senior girls who were all dressed up in the boys’ jerseys (Josh’s friend Anna had on his jersey :)) They were there for their softball tournament, but were about to leave to go practice. Look how cute they were!! They are so sweet!
L-R – Audrey (in #19 Luke Bole), Sara (#9 Walton Ashwander), Anna (#32 Josh Slaten), and Michel (#33 Taylor Nelson).
Then, before we knew it, it was time for game 2. I, along with all of the other fans, was extremely nervous because now the series was split, which means we HAD to win the third game!
The game started off well and early in the second inning, Taylor Nelson’s hit drove Josh in to score the first point!
First Base…
Stole to second :)
SCORE!!! 1-0!
Although we didn’t think it was enough to win, it was nice to be on the board first (and even better that Josh scored the run!!)
The game went on and later in the third inning Luke Bole (our pitcher for game 1) hit a home run scoring us 3 more points making it 4-0!!!
The team celebrating on home plate after the home run!!
This was Luke’s 20th homerun of the year and he tied the record for the most homeruns in a single season! Although at the time we did not know if this hit would be the deciding factor, we certainly liked the extra cushion we had!
Before we knew it, the game was nearing the 5th inning and the crowd was going crazy! The announcer even went as far to announce that if anyone rushed the field after the win, that they would be arrested and escorted out of the stadium! We laughed and said they must have heard about the Cullman game ;) Anyway, for extra precaution they put security guards throughout our side of the stands. I’m not sure they could have handled all of the fans if they had rushed the field! One thing I will say is that I love the fan base that Hartselle has (as you will see in the pictures below) The whole town of Hartselle was there!
The student section
The fans to my left
The last inning was extremely exciting because we were still 4-0 and we knew the win was coming, but we just didn’t know when. We had several false alarms (for one, it was full count…the boys and us thought the batter swung and missed the ball, but instead he tipped it right in front of the pitcher. Our boys were so busy celebrating that he literally walked his way to first base! UGH!) I got a ton of pictures of what I thought was the final play, but I’ll save you the viewing and give you the actual final play and the celebration (complete with the famous song which you can play while looking at the last few if you’d like because that’s what we were hearing ;))
Without further adieu, the celebration (Note: no fans are on the field ;))
The final scoreboard…4-0!
Now for the trophy presentation!
And the 2009 5A State Champions are…
THE HARTSELLE TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
The would not let us get on to the field, but that did not keep me from climbing up on the railing to get some of these pictures :)
Josh and his buddy Mike. They were so excited they could officially say they were #1!
I was so proud (and surprisingly I didn’t even get teary-eyed!)
Josh and the parentals
After I grabbed a few shots with Josh…it was time for all the team celebrations and pictures. I love this picture below…it’s Josh hugging one of his teammates in their new Hartselle caps that have 5A State Champs on the back!!)
This was the last picture we got on the field before they turned the lights out on us!! (I don’t think they were ready for Hartselle!!) That didn’t keep us from moving the celebration off the field!!
Dad and I holding “Big Blue”. Poor dad doesn’t know how to pose for pictures! :)
Josh and our grandmother
Josh and Garrett. Garrett pitched the last game and Josh ran for him!
They started turning off the interior lights so we had to move the party outside. However, we did get an entire family picture with the trophy (both my cameras died so Anna’s dad took it with his and I’ll post it here later!)
Walking to the car. One of my new favorite pictures!
Josh and some of his friends still celebrating!
He was excited but he kept saying it hadn’t sunk in yet!
Since Josh’s girls were playing softball, he stayed with a friends’ sister in…are you ready…AUBURN (I know…I gave them the hardest time and of course they did too!! No worries, he said he took a ton of showers while he was there and had two in the same day after he got home…that’s my brother :)) Anyway, we had to switch out his luggage and trade it for non-baseball attire!
We stopped by Sonic to get dinner and then I headed home got home about 1:00 am this morning (sorry I am posting this for 11:00 so that it will be on the correct day!) Although I am exhausted, the drive was so worth it!! Now, hopefully the girls will be bringing home a title as well!!
Congrats boys!!
I’d like to leave you with the news broadcast on the win (you’ll see Josh scoring!!) from ABC 33/40…enjoy!!!
P.S. I forgot to mention, this was Hartselle’s 50th win, which broke the state record (held by Cullman :-D) for most wins in a season!! The tigers ended their season with a 50-9 record!! :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment