As I write this, I'm lying in bed because I have no energy to even move after a day like today. The day started out fine: I woke up and went about my day as I normally do. Around 1ish, my phone rings. I have one of those answering machines that reads the caller ID out to you (I know, it makes me lazy, but it is amazing :)) and when I heard a local number being read, I grabbed the phone, thinking it might be the new school. I've been a little paranoid the past couple of weeks that this new job is "too good to be true" and that something is going to fall through. I have not heard back from the principal since I gave her my recommendations and even though everyone has told me that she really has no reason to call me, I just wanted some assurance. Anyway, when I answered, the caller identified herself as the assistant principal of the school I had interviewed with the end of June (right before I had my most recent interview) Now, let me remind you that this is the school that said they'd call me back the next day and I NEVER heard from them. They were calling to inform me that they wanted to recommend me for the position in which I interviewed. I apologized and told her that I was possibly being recommended for another position and I could let her know after I heard back from it next week. She told me that the board was meeting TONIGHT and she had to know by 3:00 pm (note: this is around 1 pm when this conversation was taking place) She told me to contact the principal to be for sure because they really wanted to recommend me and told me that this decision was "up to me". I really didn't want this position because I just didn't feel like it was the school for me, but I also don't want to miss out on a job. So then my brain starts reeling thinking "Okay, if I turn down this job, and the new school has decided not to recommend me, then I'm going to be in bad shape, but if I tell them to recommend me, and they recommend me for the other position, then I'm in a bad shape all the way around". I had been planning on calling my principal all week just to check in with her and make sure she had everything she needed before I went home this weekend so I decided this was a great time to call. She's in between schools right now so I called her old school first - no answer, new school - the phone isn't working right, and finally I called her cell phone and just left a message asking her to give me a call back (I didn't mention the other job offer because I really want to teach at this school). I tried until about 2 and could never get a hold of her so I decided to go up to the new school to see if she was there. Unfortunately, she had left 2 hours prior to me getting there so I wasn't able to talk to her so I knew I'd have to make a decision without her guidance. After talking with my parents, Alex, and my friend Tara, I decided that even if I didn't get recommended for this new position, it would be in my best interest not to take the other position because:
- They wait 3 weeks to call and then give me the shortest amount of time to make a decision (obviously I wasn't their first choice)
- I didn't feel good about the interview. The school may be wonderful, but I just didn't click with them like I did at the new school.
- I obviously was not their first choice and I don't want to be put in a position that I'm not the best person for.
After talking with my friends and family, I felt loads better about my decision. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to call the other school back, but I did send them an e-mail apologizing and explaining to them that since I didn't hear anything after my interview, I accepted this other offer and I felt that it would be unprofessional of me to go back on that offer (even though I really want the position, but I didn't tell them that). I was a little frustrated that I was put in that situation, but I felt that I made the right decision so I felt a little better. I still was anxious to see if the new principal would call back and thankfully around 4:00 she did :) She assured me that everything was fine and that the board is actually meeting on Thursday evening instead of next Monday. She also told me that I shouldn't worry about getting approved because it is VERY RARE for them not to approve someone so it made me feel LOADS better!
On another note, Josh got his formal senior portraits and Mom said they looked great! They gave him a CD with the proofs so I'm anxious to see them! :)
I'm heading home early Thursday morning. Unless something exciting happens, I'm signing off until at least sometime Thursday when I'm at home. Hopefully the next post I can tell you I'm officially employed :)
Much love,
Maegan

0 comments:
Post a Comment