This past weekend, Alex and I went home to spend some time with our families. I had originally planned on driving home Thursday evening, but with all of the stress lately, I’ve pretty much made myself sick, so when Alex volunteered to drive, I jumped at the chance to just ride with him. We ended up leaving Friday after he got out of class and surprisingly, I was packed several hours before he was (it did help that I never unpacked from last weekend, but those are minor details ;) ) We got home Friday evening and I got a little rest before we headed to “town” (what we’ve always called Decatur). I really wanted to just relax, but I did get some clothes, shoes, and even some stuff for my new classroom out of it (I’ll do a classroom post later) so it was worth losing the relaxation time :)
Saturday was a big day for everyone. My brother had been chosen for Hartselle’s 7-on-7 football team so he had a tournament ALL DAY at UNA. I would have gone, but Alex’s family had a big birthday brunch for his mom’s 50th birthday. From what I heard, Josh did wonderfully at the tournament. He played both offense and defense and even though he was worn out, I think he enjoyed getting back in the game after missing out because of his injury last year. As I mentioned above, I missed his tournament to go to the birthday brunch because I had already promised them I’d be there long before I knew about the tournament. His mom’s best friend Laura from Seattle came in and threw this HUGE luau themed birthday bash. I always love going over there to eat because I always get to try something “new” and this case was no different. We had sausage, bacon, eggs benedict, fruit salad, cinnamon rolls, crab dip, olives, and macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup. For dessert we had Lemon Torte, Macadamia & Chocolate cookie bars, and various fruit sorbets (I have a story about this that I will get to in a minute). I was so stuffed by the time we got to dessert that Alex and I just shared :) Everything was absolutely delicious and we got to take our time eating and enjoy each other’s company. I’ll try to get pictures from his family so I can post them on here to show you our delicious spread.
Okay, now to the story of the fruit sorbets: When Alex and I were dating in high school, we spent the majority of our time at a place called Studio One (where we met) which was a Children’s Theatre Playhouse, a bookstore, a music school, and a deli/cafĂ© all rolled into 1. Since they were open all of the time for something, we spent a lot of time outside of play practice just hanging out there. Anyway, one day we were up there and they got in a shipment of these fruit sorbets to sell that came in natural fruit shells. The owner was telling us how yummy they were and convinced us to try them. Although Alex and I were not technically dating at this point, we each got one (pina colada for him and coconut for me) and we shared. As silly as it sounds, this was such a sweet moment in our relationship and I fondly remember that day. I remember that day, but I did not remember what on earth we were eating until last week when I got some coconut ice cream and I suddenly remembered those adorable little sorbets. I asked Alex if he remembered on our way home on Friday and of course he didn’t remember either. Well I decided I was determined to do a web search and find them when I got back to Tuscaloosa. On Saturday, when we got to the dessert portion of our meal, Laura brought out this box:
It was EXACTLY what I had been thinking of earlier that week! I was so very excited when they told me I could get them at Costco. Of course, staying true to tradition, Alex and I shared a coconut sorbet and he remembered it after his first bite
Anyway, we had a great weekend, but I am glad to be back in Tuscaloosa. Although I’m extremely anxious to get in the classroom, I’m trying to relax and enjoy my last few days of freedom!


0 comments:
Post a Comment