Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Unemployment Day 6

I know it's been a few days since I've updated, but truthfully nothing that exciting has happened (except a special phone call that I will get to in a few minutes). I feel like Ross on the Friends' episode in which is unemployed and does all of his to do's in the first day and then goes stir crazy which is completely me at the moment!! Ok, update on my life!



First of all, as I mentioned before, I was supposed to hear about my job interview from last week that afternoon or the next day and as of right this moment, I have not heard a thing....as in NOTHING. This is beginning to stress me out beyond belief and I really want to call and just find out if and when I'm going to hear something. I'm not normally impatient (well I am, but who wouldn't be?) but it's just a matter of they told me they'd let me know "one way or another" by last week and I haven't heard anything. Because I didn't want to call the school and seem pushy and "diva"ish, I e-mailed my supervisor who is very close with the administration and actually recommended me for the job to ask her opinion on the matter. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hoping she might call and casually ask what's going on with it. Anyway, hopefully I'll hear something one way or another soon so I'll have some closure :)



On the other hand, I received a phone call yesterday evening from a principal of a new elementary school in which I have a applied for Kindergarten, First, and Third Grade positions asking me if I was interested in interviewing for the kindergarten position. I of course replied yes and we set up the interview for 11:00 on Thursday. As with any job (and anything), I have weighed the pros and cons (I know it's silly considering I haven't gotten the job yet but I have to have a game plan). Here's the situation: this school is a brand new school without the building yet. They have taken 100 students from 3 different schools and are combining it into 1 elementary school. Unfortunately the building of the new school has not been completed yet, but they are going to be housed in an old middle school (which they have split into 3 new middle schools) along with one of the new middle schools. So here's the pros and cons:



Pros:


  1. It's a new school, although not a new building so we'll all be learning together

  2. When she was still teaching, the principal actually came and spoke to us in one of my classes during my internship and she was really sweet and I think she'll be wonderful to work for.

  3. The position is in a lower grade, which I want and I could possibly have a choice between the three positions.

  4. It's a job for the fall! :)

  5. The middle school that it will be housed in this year is a total of 5 minutes away from my apartment (I used to pass it everytime I drove to Alex's old apartment) so the location is great.

  6. If I stay at this school, I'll get a brand new classroom in a brand new building in Fall 2009.


Cons:


  1. Although the temporary location is close, the permanent location is quite a ways away and on the opposite side of town that I planned on moving.

  2. It has different demographics than what I'm used to teaching in. It has a lot of students who are poverty level and many come from broken homes. I'll have to learn to keep my emotions in check and try not to get to emotionally involved that I go home and cry because I have to send some kids to not so wonderful homes.


Obviously, the pros outweigh the cons and if I get offered the job, I'll take it (if I don't get the first one) and I know I'll love it. To get me in the spirit, I've been looking at classroom decorations and supplies and it's getting me all excited. Of course, I'm not guaranteed the job but I'm trying to stay positive, but realistic. If I don't stay positive, I will drive myself insane :)

Oh and Josh's nose bandage came off and mom is a little disappointed with the results. They sent me a picture and it is a little crooked but I think it looks fine, but you know moms :)




Anyway, I'm going to get some stuff done around the house and get packed up to go home after my interview tomorrow (Alex and I will be riding together so I HAVE to be ready on time or I'll get left :)) so I'm going to get busy. I promise to update if I hear anything!

Much love,

Maegan

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin