Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The one with the family and the hospital trip

I'm sure you're wondering the reason for my title (I'm watching "Friends" so hence the cheesy "Friends" style :)) and boy is it an entertaining one :) To give you a little background, every year Josh comes down with his basketball team for a team camp hosted by the University of Alabama. They usually play all day Friday and Saturday and have a tournament style (if they lose they are out) on Sunday. Anyway, this weekend Josh and the family came down for camp. Even though they played all day on Friday, we didn't get to go to any of the games except the very last one. Although it wasn't that late, we were all exhausted (Mom & Dad from driving; me from cleaning) so we went home and Mom and I watched "27 Dresses" on Tivo.
 
Summer 2008 021
Josh and I at in between games Friday!
 
  
Josh had a fairly early game on Saturday and had them spread out throughout the day so we did a lot of driving back and forth from here to Coleman Coliseum.
 Summer 2008 017
Josh and I before his “last” game (you’ll see what I mean below)
 
A week or so ago, Josh busted his eye open and just had it repaired a few days ago. Although he was not supposed to be playing, my parents let him play since it's his senior year. Anyway, we were all talking about it and one of the player's mom's mentioned that "that was his senior injury". Not two seconds later, we see Josh walking off the court with his face in his hands. We were sitting on the other side of the court but we saw him walk up to the coach and we saw blood on his hands so we immediately thought that he busted his eye open again. They handed him a towel and rushed him back to the trainer and when we caught up with him he pulled down the towel and this is what we saw (note it is a little gross so if you have a weak stomach, you might want to skip on down!):
 
Summer 2008 016

Obviously, it wasn't his eye. As you can probably tell he took an elbow to the nose and obviously it broke it. When the trainer saw it she immediately called Northport DCH and we rushed him there. One of the moms is a nurse (the same one who helped Josh with his eye before) and she rode to the hospital with us. Thankfully when we arrived, nobody was in the waiting room so he was able to go right back. They would only allow Mom & Dad to go back with him so I was in the waiting room with the other mom. I was a complete mess and was trying to call Alex (he was on a kayaking trip in Tennessee and did not have any signal) because he's had nose surgery too so I wanted to know what to expect. They checked him out and did a CT scan. The scan revealed that he didn't have a blockage so they told him he'd have to wait a few days before they could do surgery (they had to wait for the swelling to go down) so my parents made the decision to wait and take him back to the plastic surgeon who did his eye the first time, who also happens to be a ENT as well. This made everyone feel better because he is AMAZING at what he does. Anyway, we got Josh back to my apartment and the meds kicked in and knocked him out so I babysat while Mom and Dad went to go get my car from Coleman, clean out Josh's hotel room, and go get his medicine filled. When they got back, they moved him to my room to sleep in my bed since he had to sleep sitting up. At this point it is around midnight and even though I had to sleep on the couch (Dad slept with him so that he could put ice on it every little bit) I passed out right away.

Josh after he woke up this morning.  Blood’s gone, but you can tell how crooked his nose is!

Josh had planned to go to the game(s) today, but it was at 8 am and no one could wake up and he didn't really feel like it anyway. All of his friends were really sweet and called a great deal to check on him (even the ones from back home...news travels fast in a small town :)) He rested most of the day, but I rented "Meet the Spartans" and "Semi-Pro" on Tivo so he could watch them. Late this afternoon Dad and I decided to get out of the house and go house shopping/looking in Northport since we had some free time. We spent several hours just driving around looking and then we came back and Mom and I did a grocery run because I had NOTHING in the fridge :) They just left and I have to work in the morning so I'm about to hit the sack. I'll update more after Mom makes an appointment sometime this week!

Keep him in your prayers that all works out!

Love,

Maegan

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin