Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Goodbye Library :(

I know this may come as a surprise to you...because believe me it was a surprise to everyone else...including Alex and the owner. Ok, here's the back story. The Thursday beforet spring break, I arrive to work and my coworker Jenny said "Did you see the paper?" (referring to the student newspaper) I hadn't so she gave me her copy and this was what I saw (links to their website with the article) Date set to consider removing Library bar on Strip - News Okay, so I was floored I didn't know about this before, but because of mine and Alex's lack of communication lately (not necessarily in a bad way, but by the time we get to actually talk we forget about a lot of stuff!) and the problems they had been facing, I thought maybe this was just something he forgot to tell me about. Well, I tried to call him, but unfortunately he was still asleep. Several hours later he called and said, "Did you see the paper?" and I immeadiately knew what he was referring to. Apparently, he had NO idea about this. I talked to him later that day and apparently the owner didn't know about it either which was a little strange to me, but it doesn't surprise me. Anyway, because they had had lots of issues already, they figured they would not be able to fight this and just expected to close the first week of April or so (They were supposed to vote on the 1st). Then after spring break, Alex found out that the landlord was upping their rent on April 1stand they just couldn't afford it so they didn't renew their license, which meant their last night would be Monday, March 31st. They toyed with the idea of opening on Monday, but they figured Saturday would be their last "big night". They did decide to go ahead and open on Monday, but Alex and the rest of the staff were done after Saturday night. Anyway, despite my already long day I knew I couldn't miss the Library's last day. I called up several of my friends and invited them and we all partied one last time. Although the Library has caused me a lot of relationship stress, it still was a big part of our lives so it was a bittersweet ending (plus I was losing my "First Lady of the Library" status :( ) Here are some pictures from the last night. Note: I was very sad I was not able to get a picture with Alex, because I got one on his first night, but things were so CRAZY I could not get him to stand still for more than 2 seconds Sad Day!



Recognizing all of the staff that was there that night (which was almost all of them). Being the horrible girlfriend, I cut Alex out of the picture - he would be on the far right.


Another staff picture...still no Alex (to my defense, I'm so short I was holding it above my head)


The staff leading one last "Roll Tide Roll". I actually caught Alex in this one! :) This was right before the waterworks started (they decided to use the "guns" to spray everyone with water...yeah not fun times)

Some of my friends who came to hang out: (Patricia, Frances Ann, Tara)



When I arrived to work today, Jenny had a paper on my desk and it read:

The Library bar closes, will be replaced - News

Of course, I had not had time to tell a lot of my friends so I got a ton of phone calls today so I had to go through this same story a million times. Although I'm excited about getting to spend more time with Alex, I'm going to miss having it to go to if I get bored, or even throwing parties there. Alex and the rest of the staff were getting a little fed up with things (which is a whole different story) so this definitely got them out of the drama. As of right now, Alex has gotten several job offers but he has not accepted any. He says he'd rather wait until this summer, which is understandable. However, we've gotten spoiled by his nice paycheck so it's been tough trying to adjust to a limited budget, but we're getting to see each other more which is wonderful! :)

Anyway, I'll be sure to keep you updated!

Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin