Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

45 more days....

until Graduation!!! Although this does not seem as eventful as the first one, it's kind of a big deal to me. I have always set certain goals for my life and although no one else seems excited when I accomplish them (they keep saying "I knew you would"), I am ecstatic each time I mark that goal off my list. One of the things I have always wanted to do is to get my master's degree. I of course wanted to graduate with my bachelor's, but I was more concerned with getting that Master's degree. Well in 45 days, I will be walking on the stage one more time and receiving my degree...now I have to find another degree to work on ;)

Anyway, I went today to the Graduation Celebration for the supply store. Each semester, the campus supply store hosts a "celebration" which is basically a one-stop shop for all things graduation. Since I've already done this, I thought "This will be a breeze". Boy, was I wrong. First of all, I started off with the invitations. Because I had decided that I was just going to send these announcements to close family and friends because where I'm from although no one really gets their master's degree, no one makes a big deal out of it. I spent the majority of the time on the phone with my mom going, "Ok is this what we got last year, because that was too much". She and I both finally decided that 15 invitation/announcements would be sufficient. I decided not to get a package because I had the lovely embossed thank you cards and seals left over form last year so I did get to save some major money there (it was still 51 dollars just for the announcements and the envelopes!) Then, I get to the diploma frames. I of course want a diploma frame, but they are extremely expensive which is why my Bachelor's diploma is in an envelope in my room at home and not in one of these fabulous frames. Maybe by my third degree, I'll have 1 frame that I can just rotate my degrees in and out :). Next stop were the gowns. I was under the impression (no one told me this, I just came to this conclusion on my own), that I would luck up and not have to buy a gown which would save me more money. I mean a black gown's a black gown...why would I have to buy another one when I have a perfectly nice gown already hanging on the back of my door in my room. I just assumed they would hand me the lovely hood thing and a new black tassel and I'd be on my way...but boy was I wrong. Not only did I have to get a new gown (which by the way has these strange arm things which just makes it look like it was sewn incorrectly but apparently it is supposed to look like that) it was twice as much as the bachelor's gown (i was able to compare because my friend that was with me who is getting her bachelor's degree). I was informed that if I get an EdS, I could wear the same gown again, I would just have to buy a new hood, but when I get my PhD, I have to buy yet another gown...now I see why people decide not to walk. So the grand total for me to attend the ceremony (including the fee they already charged to my account)....$163.00. Of course, that does not include the over $20,000 dollars I've already spent just to get the degree....UGH. Anyway, I know it's a symbolic thing but you would think if you pay them that much money that graduation stuff would be included...that's what I would do if I ran a University :) Anyway enough of my ranting, here is a picture of my gorgeous gown (which sadly costs more than many of my dresses). I'm sorry that you cannot tell much about the lovely arms, but at graduation, I'll try to take a picture with my arms out just so you can see :)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin