Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Weekend in Montgomery

Thanks to the University’s fall break and football bye week, I actually had my first free weekend the weekend prior to Halloween and decided to go spend it with my sweetie in Montgomery!

I arrived on Thursday evening, and we just enjoyed a quiet evening in (complete with Alex’s famous spaghetti for dinner…yum!)

Alex got to work from home on Friday, so we enjoyed spending the entire day together.  I have recently started doing some vinyl designs on acrylic cups and Alex picked out his favorite and asked for one.  I surprised him with it as well as his anniversary gift, and he enjoyed his cup all day!

Again, we enjoyed a nice, quiet evening in with a movie and a “fish and chips” dinner :)

Saturday was quite a busy day!  We went to Prattville during the day so Alex could check out Bass Pro Shop (a.k.a. his “happy place”), so while we were there we decided to do some exploring.  We had lunch at a local favorite, Uncle Mick’s

unclemicks

and enjoyed the sampler platter of sausage red beans and rice, crab meat au gratin, cajun potato salad, crawfish etoufee, and chicken sausage gumbo…it was all delicious!  If you are ever in Prattville, you should definitely stop by.  The owner will ask you “what did you have last time?”, offer free samples of anything you haven’t tried because he says he doesn’t want you to order anything you don’t like, and will stop by your table during the meal to check on you.  It was an all-around amazing experience!

After lunch, we walked around and enjoyed Downtown Prattville.

While we were there, we also picked up a pumpkin from a local pumpkin stand on our way home.  Alex wanted to make sure it made it home in one piece so he buckled it in the back seat.

We then headed home and got ready for our “date night”.  Alex had gotten us tickets to the final, and special “late night” showing of Dracula at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival as our Halloween date/early Anniversary present.  We were so excited!

10/29 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Alex and I before going to see 10/29 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Alex and I before going to see

Us before we left Alex’s apartment

10/29 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - The Shakespeare statue was all decked out for the

Shakespeare got all dressed up for the occasion as well

10/29 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Alex and I at ASF, vampire red eyes and all haha.  Our goal was to get a picture in front of Shakespeare, but the dear, sweet guy that took our photo didn't get it. ;)    Our attempt at getting a picture with Shakespeare.  The sweet guy that took our picture must have thought we wanted just his bottom half.  Oh well ;)

The show was AMAZING!  Don’t just take my word for it though as you can read Montgomery Advertiser’s rave review of it here.  We were very impressed with the special effects (and that’s coming from two folks with ‘behind the scenes’ theatre experience).  They discuss some of the special effects in the video below.

Because ours was the last evening showing (and Alex and I know from experience that it is almost always the best show to see ;)), they held an after-party so that you could mingle with the cast members.  We wanted to stay and party, but it was almost 1 by the time the play ended, and we were exhausted, so we headed home.  We had a wonderful time though!

On Sunday, Alex and I decided to carve our pumpkin.  Surprisingly, in the 7 years we’ve been dating, we’ve never carved pumpkins together, and our first experience was quite entertaining!

10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - The pumpkin

Pumpkin all ready to go 

Halloween Weekend in Montgomery_2011 10 30_3404

We cheated and bought a kit.  It backfired on us though (you’ll see what I mean in a minute

Halloween Weekend in Montgomery_2011 10 30_3406

Alex carving away.  His job was to “gut” the pumpkin

 10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Alex gave me the task of picking out pumpkin seeds so we could roast them later

My job was to pick out the pumpkin seeds so we could roast them later

 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery_2011 10 30_3409

Good job Alex!

 10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Our set up, ready to carve

Ready to carve!

We chose the Dracula print from the book as a nod to our date the night before, but unfortunately the stencil was too big for our pumpkin.  I had to freehand a smaller version on a paper towel.  It may not have looked that impressive, but it worked!

 10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - We bought a book of design templates and settled on the Dracula since we had seen the play the night before.  When Alex tried to put the template on the pumpkin, it was too big so I had to freehand a smaller version (on a paper towel) so that it would fit our pumpkin. It seemed to work! :)

 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery_2011 10 30_3414

Alex marking the stencil on the pumpkin.  Yes, those are sticky tabs…somehow the boy had no tape ;)

10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - My scaled down drawing of the Dracula design

My free-hand version of Dracula

Halloween Weekend in Montgomery_2011 10 30_3416

Time to cut!  This is the only picture we got because I took over after this and Alex isn’t as good about taking pictures ;)

10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Pretty much all cut out...just ready to pop out the pieces! :)

All cut!

 10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Roasted pumpkin seeds.  Definitely worth picking them out! :)

Roasted pumpkin seeds…yum!

10/30 Halloween Weekend in Montgomery - Our "Dracu-pumpkin" all lit up

Our “Dracu-pumpkin”.  We were pretty proud of him!

The next day, I had to get back to Tuscaloosa to get ready for a conference, but I would have stayed longer if I could!  I also had to change out my Halloween decor for my fall decor, but not before I snapped a picture :)

10/31 - My counter decked out for Halloween (I didn't change out my Alabama subway art, but it worked with the color scheme ;))

My bar.  Yes, that is still my Alabama football subway art, but it matched my color scheme so I left it ;)

 10/31 - Halloween Place Settings

Place setting.  Yes, it is pretty much my football decor with some added Halloween touches, but I loved it! :)

Hope you had a wonderful Halloween! :)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin