This weekend, my beloved Crimson Tide kicked off our 2010 football season with a win over San Jose State.
Nothing against San Jose, but it was just one of those games that you’re not quite worried about…perfect for a season opener!
Anyway, this year was quite different for me for several reasons. First of all, this is obviously the first year that Alex won’t be here to hang out with every football weekend. He had the opportunity to come to the game this weekend and plans on coming to several more games, but he will definitely be missed (especially on away game weekends because we always watched the games together!).
Secondly, this was to be my last year recruiting for the football program. I was a little sad in the days leading up to the opener because I honestly didn’t know what to do with myself. In the same way that people have their own pre-game traditions, I don’t know how to function without traipsing to the football complex five hours before kickoff in my dress clothes and heels, eating Full Moon BBQ at the stadium, watching warm-ups from the sidelines and getting to share my love of Alabama football and the university with the HS football players. Knowing that I wouldn’t be doing any of those things made me a little sad, but I didn’t really have a choice.
On game day, I got up and got ready (which was a struggle because out of habit, I pulled out my heels to go with my dress…putting on flip flops was miserable for me!) and Alex tried to keep me entertained by introducing me to some of the festivities and entertainment going on around campus.
Alex and I (look how short I am without heels!)
Us on the quad…we were trying to get Denny Chimes in the background, but no such luck (at least in the second one!)
As we were looking around at all of the vendors, I got a phone call from a number that wasn’t in my phone. Normally I don’t answer unknown numbers, but for some reason this time I did. It was my recruiting boss asking if I was available to help for the day…I of course told her I would be happy to, and hurried home to throw on a shrug, nametag, and heels and head to the football complex. I felt really badly for leaving Alex, but he knew that I would be much happier being back in my comfort zone so he sent me on my way ;)
I registered the football players and they told me I was free to go if I wanted so I did and headed back to meet Alex at the stadium before kick off. Alex had a ticket for a seat in the end zone field suites so I hung out with him in the new end zone until it was time for me to head to my seat.
The game was good, and we got so far ahead, we even got to play some of our 2nd string guys (I’m a big advocate for them getting playing time if the first string guys aren’t needed…this keeps them from getting hurt as well too :)). I would love to say that we went out and partied after the game, but honestly, we all headed back to the apartment and passed out pretty quickly…its what happens when you get old ;)
Anyway, it was a great weekend I am so glad I got to spend opening weekend with Alex (especially since he got to stay through Monday because of the Labor Day holiday!).
I hope you all had a great weekend as well and to all of my Bama friends….ROLL TIDE!!! :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment