Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Legend vs. Legend in the Making

Ever since the 2010 schedule was announced, we were all looking forward to this game:  Alabama vs. Penn State in Bryant Denny Stadium.

We haven’t played Penn State since 1990, and since I was 5 at the time, the only “recollection” of the history of Alabama/Penn State is the stories I’ve heard and old footage and photographs.  (For some of the history, click here http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=5551302

Although I don’t watch a lot of teams outside the SEC (unless we’re playing them), I’ve always thought highly of Joe Paterno and his team, so I was just excited as anyone to see these two storied programs play each other, and a true legend (Paterno) coach against a legend in the making (Saban).  I knew it would be a once in a lifetime experience.

Even ESPN pumped up the history behind the game with their trailer…

To make this event even more memorable, ESPN invited Bobby Bowden to make the predictions and the three coaches met midfield before the game begin.

Pregame_handshake_Saban_JoePa_Bowden.jpg

Source - Great article too by the way!

Did I mention this historic meeting occurred on what would have been Coach Bear Bryant’s 93rd birthday…can we say chill bumps!

Al.com said it best in the article linked below the picture:

There was a Mount Rushmore of coaching at midfield early Saturday evening. Bobby Bowden, the 80-year-old Birmingham native and former Florida State coach, greeted his old friend and history-chaser, Joe Paterno, the 83-year-old Penn State legend. 

Into the mix strolled Nick Saban, at 58 the exact age of Paterno's ripple-soled coaching shoes.

The moment needed only a spiritualist to perform a seance, and summon the ghost of Bear Bryant. It wouldn't have taken much. It lives here, you know.

This renewal of the Alabama-Penn State rivalry was pretty much as you suspected it'd be. More past than present, more memories than memories made.

As the article mentioned, the actual game wasn’t very memorable in itself…we ended up beating the Nittany Lions 24 – 3.

As I’ve mentioned before, my dad has season tickets and he gave Alex and I the other two seats so we got to witness history in the making together :)

9/11 Alabama vs. Penn State - Alex and I before kick-off!  One of the few games we've actually gotten to sit together...thanks Mom & Dad! :) Us before the game

AlabamavsPennState_09 11_4329

My daddy and I

AlabamavsPennState_09 11_4343 AlabamavsPennState_09 11_4321

Joe-Pa and Saban

Alex and I after the win

AlabamavsPennState_09 11_4353

Game day post game report (they set up right in front of us :))

AlabamavsPennState_09 11_4360

Oh that, that’s just Erin Andrews and I ;)  We chatted about my earrings (she said she loved them) and DWTS and of course snapped a quick picture together. 

I have to say, she’s fabulous in person…such a doll!!  Needless to say, all of the boys in my life were a bit jealous over this picture!  Alex thought it was lame that I told her that I loved her on DWTS at a football game, but the guys were all complimenting her on her looks, so I’m sure she liked to hear something about her talent…geez!  Plus I was rocking my Alabama football nametag (it was on the fence side) so she knew I was not just a ditzy girl that knew nothing about football.

I was so proud to see our Bama fans treating Penn State fans with such respect because they would have done the same for us.  In fact, the Penn State folks even commented on our “Southern Hospitality” http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/09/commentary_southern_hospitalit.html … it totally warmed my heart :)  (P.S.  The girl on the far right is one of my dear friends and fellow Crimson Belle, and the girl in the middle is Coach Saban’s daughter who also works for recruiting…both of them are precious! :))

Anyway, even though the game wasn’t very memorable, the day itself was!  I’m glad I was there to witness such a memorable occasion and I’m even more proud to be part of the Crimson Tide family…ROLL TIDE!

P.S.  Dad took some great pictures and video throughout the game….check them out in my Alabama Football Picasa Album http://picasaweb.google.com/maegan.slaten/WorkingOn14AlabamaFootball2010#

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin